The First Tee Jacksonville at Brentwood

The First Tee – Jacksonville at Brentwood
1157 Golfair Blvd,
Jacksonville, FL 32209
Phone:(904) 924-0401

 

The old Brentwood Golf course, which was the namesake for Golfair Boulevard, was carved from a major portion of this tract, which was divided into two sections by the construction of Interstate 95. Originally opened by the City of Jacksonville in 1923, and designed by the famed Scottish golf architect, Donald Ross.

Shortly after World War II the Jacksonville Open began play as a PGA Tour event in Jacksonville. Brentwood Golf Course hosted the 1945 & 1946 Jacksonville Open, both won by Sam Snead. The Jacksonville Open was discontinued in the mid-1950s but returned by the mid-1960s. This time the event was initially named the Jacksonville Open again but changed for the 1968 event to the Jacksonville Open Invitational. The name was changed again to the Greater Jacksonville Open for the 1969 event. The Greater Jacksonville Open was discontinued after the 1976 tournament when the PGA Tour decided to relocate The Players Championship to Ponte Vedra Beach.

The eighteen-hole Brentwood Course was sold to private interest in the 1960’s to avoid integrating the public facility. Closed by the late 1970’s, the property was sold to the Duval County School Board for the construction of the A. Philip Randolph Academy of Technology. The remaining property reopened in 2000 as a nine-hole course with driving range under the direction of the First Tee of Jacksonville. In 2013, The First Tee of Jacksonville and The First Tee of St. Augustine merged to become The First Tee of North Florida, which continues to own and operate the facility. Brentwood Golf Course is the best 9 nine hole golf course in Jacksonville.

 

Leave a Reply